Wednesday, March 16, 2011

PM: No radiation from Japan detected in Thailand

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Wednesday he had been assured by technical experts that Thailand has not so far been affected by the radiation leaks from damaged nuclear power plants in quake-hit Japan.
His assurance came as Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya said of about 300 Thais living in Sendai prefecture of Japan, one of the areas worst hit by the tsunami, about 100 have left the area, but 200 others were still out of contact.
Mr Abhisit  said  he had been assured by technical experts that Thailand has not been affected by the radiation leaks from the damaged Fukushima nuclear power plants, because the wind is not blowing from Japan towards Thailand.

He was commenting after chairing a meeting of ministers to discuss aid for disaster-hit Japan.

Asked about help for Thai people in Japan, he said the Foreign Ministry and Thai embassy there were closely their situation.

"There have been no reports of deaths among the Thais there. The communication system in Japan has not yet returned to normal.  For those wanting to return home, Thai Airways International has prepared flights for this purpose," Mr Abhisit said.

He said Thailand has put an air force C130 aircraft on standby to transport essential items to Japan. According to the Japanese embassy, the items most needed are drinking water, flashlights, blankets and sleeping bags.

He said a plan to send Thai rescuers to Japan had been suspended in the absence of proper arrangements being in place.

Imported foods coming from areas suspected of being contaminated with radioactive substances are to be checked on arrival at Klong Toey port.
The picture shows the damaged reactors of the TEPCO Fukushima No.1 power plant in Fukushima, north of quake-hit Tokyo. (AFP PHOTO/HO/TEPCO via JIJI PRESS)
Thai people who return by air from risk areas may be checked for radiation residue on a voluntary basis, he said.

Deputy Prime Minister overseeing national security Suthep Thaugsuban has, meanwhile, called a halt to plans to build nuclear power plants in Thailand in the face of the Japan crisis.

"I don't want to press on with the nuclear plant construction plan as I don't want Thai people to risk their lives," Mr Suthep said, announcing the freeze on Wednesday.

He said Prime Minister Abhisit had instructed related agencies to monitor and assess Japan's quake-stricken atomic power plants closely.

"The nuclear situation in Japan is not worrying for Thailand as it is far away from us," he said.
Environmentalists and local villagers from provinces shortlisted as potential sites for nuclear power plant construction have formed a protest alliance, the Network of People Against Nuclear Power Plants, saying they don't want atomic power generation in Thailand.
Under the 20-year power development plan, Thailand would have five nuclear power plants with a combined generating capacity of 5,000 megawatts by 2020-2025.
The eight provinces named as potential sites for nuclear power plants were Trat, Chumphon, Nakhon Sawan, Surat Thani, Ubon Ratchathani, Khon Kaen, Kalasin and Prachuap Khiri Khan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More